Sunday, December 5, 2010

Youtube!

We have been trying in vain to get our 3.5 year old to learn some phonics. She knows her letters and sounds, and we now want to see if she is ready to read small words. So, we spell words out to her such as "C-A-T is cat", and then ask her "So, M-A-T is m-m-m-m...." Her response is usually "I am tired". Considering that she is completely and absolutely addicted to TV, I went onto Youtube (she associates Youtube with entertainment) and did a search on "phonics". I found a series of short videos that teach words with nice pictures. I did not think they were particularly exciting, but my 3.5 year old was transfixed. Here is the link to the first in the series. We were able to make it through the first three in a row. Quite impressive! However, the only con is that there is no structure, and no repetition. The series quickly moves through a bunch of unrelated words (phonetically). So, I am not sure about its effectiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment